Monday, September 29, 2008

Please Don't Tempt Me



The other day at "The Hall", the carpenter came to repair the side steps. I usually use these steps to get into the house, but today they were gone. The carpenter took them away, so I had to use the back door. This back door opens up to a back storage room. On one side, a short set of stairs go up to the door to the kitchen. One the other side are 3 steps going down to a doorway. How could I stop myself from exploring a basement! I knew this must be the destination of this passageway.



I cautiously approached the door and with a bit of force, popped it open. Instead of seeing a basement, I saw a narrow short dark passage with another door just like the other. I felt as if I was in a Twilight Zone episode, going down a tunnel that never ends. When I opened the second door, I expected to see another door, but I didn't. I saw a brightly lit basement room. The basement, as I discovered, was a series of rooms, all of them dusty with cobwebs as you would expect. The rooms got darker and scarier as I proceeded to explore. I really felt uncomfortable in there, since it isn't my house and all, but I love old dusty basements. They are the cornerstone of any house and the first thing built, so they always fascinate me. You could feel the spirit of the house down there. I didn't want to stay long for obvious reasons, so I grabbed my trusty camera and took some shots for you to see.

In between those 2 odd doors, I saw an opening, like a dark hole crawl space. I could not really see into this secret space, but my camera could. I got my camera into position and mustered up enough courage to stick my arm into this hole and took this picture. I think there is a secret passageway through there. I can kind of make it out and would love to crawl into this secret passage, but I am chicken. I have heard stories about the underground railroad and about some people who once rented this house and found a passage way that actually lead to the barn. Maybe this is it.

No comments: