Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ghostly Adventures at Harmonie Hall



Even the name Harmonie Hall conjures up images of historical mysteries. I have been very fortunate to land a job at this very old place, selling off many antiques that pass through the massive doors of the barn. Last week we had so many nice pieces of furniture come in, that the floors are covered and we have no place left for another piece. We even have to stack them sometimes, but they will sell.

One type of item we do sell that is not an antique, but more of an art, are these hand painted signs done by the Amish. They say all types of things. Sayings of faith, Americana as well as humorous. We have a big variety of signs. I like to set them up to represent an image, for example, I found an old cement sitting dog with a very worried face, and an eagle flying with it's talons out. I put the two together as if the eagle is attacking the poor little dog, with the sign in front of it saying, "Why Worry When You Can Pray". It just amuses me to do this kind of thing. This is all leading up to my true experience with the spirits of the barn. One night as I was closing up, I was all alone and in the back of the barn when I heard something that sounded like a plank falling. I went over to the room to investigate. There, in the middle of the floor as if it fell from the sky, was a 3' long plank. Very puzzled, I picked it up to see what it was. It was one of those signs and I heard a voice inside saying, "read it.". It said, "Welcome To Our Barn". I knew right then, I was welcomed. The electricity was in the air and it would not go away till I got out of there, and get out I did! I was okay with it, but it still gives me an unsettling feeling.

No comments: