Wednesday, March 5, 2008

One of My Favorite Arts-Concrete


Spring is just around the corner and one thing I am looking forward to is creating my outdoor art. I have a passion for concrete and I sculpt and mold items from hypertufa. Hypertufa is a mix made from portland cement and other aggregates. I love to experiment with different formulas and make up my own recipes for tufa. I try to make my hypertufa as light and as strong as possible. Someday I plan to work on a formula for hypertufa that will remain strong in high heat so it can be used for outdoor ovens and barbecues.

There is a concrete art that has fascinated me for years. It is a technic called Faux Bois, French for fake wood. With this process, you can create fantasy items that look exactly like wood. I belong to the Garden Art Forum and it has many creative concrete artists there. One of those artist is a very talented faux bois artist. You can find his blog here.
http://fauxboisinconcrete.blogspot.com/

No comments: